Economic Development Grants
Agriculture and Forestry Industries Development Fund
The Agriculture and Forestry Industries Development (AFID) Fund is available to support economic development and job creation efforts. Virginia now has an economic development grant program designed specifically to support agriculture and forestry development projects.
AFID Guidelines may be obtained on the VDACS website.
Fire Prevention Grants
Firewise Virginia CommunityHazard Mitigation Grant Program
Communities in the wildland/urban interface (WUI) can take positive measures to reduce, or mitigate, potential threats from wildfire. Firewise Virginia offers new opportunities to help these communities and their landowners.
Volunteer Fire Assistance (VFA) Grants
The Virginia Department of Forestry (VDOF) administers the Volunteer Fire Assistance (VFA) grant program.
- Information and Eligibility: All grants are a 50-50 cash match grant. If you apply for a $500 grant you must be prepared to spend $1,000.00 to receive a reimbursement of $500. Receipts marked paid will be required prior to reimbursement. You can apply for an amount to purchase fire-related equipment, with priority given to wildland personal protective equipment, wildland firefighting tools, communications equipment or training.
- Apply: Form 4.31 Volunteer Fire Assistance Program Equipment Application [Word format] , Form AD-1048 [PDF format], Standard Form 424B [PDF format] and Form W9 [PDF format]
All four forms must be completed and submitted to be considered. Fill in all blanks on the Form 4.31 or your application will be denied.
- Application Deadline: March 31
- Submit all four completed forms to:
Virginia Department of Forestry
Attn: Sandy Mills
900 Natural Resources Drive, Suite 800
Charlottesville, VA 22903
Contact Sandy Mills at 434.220.9036.
Dry Hydrant Grants
A dry hydrant is a non-pressurized pipe system permanently installed in existing lakes, ponds and streams that provides a suction supply of water to a fire department tank truck. Applications are taken on an annual basis each year. New applications will have priority this year.
Contact: Fred Turck at 434.220.8052.
Dry Hydrant Repair Requests
- Repair requests are accepted at any time during the year.
- Contact: Fred Turck for information
Urban and Community Forestry
Virginia Trees for Clean Water Grant Program
Now accepting proposals through February 16, 2017. [Request for Proposal]
- Apply: Form 17.2 - Virginia Trees for Clean Water Grant Program Application (old Form 103) [Word format]
- Form 17.4 - Virginia Trees for Clean Water Grant Program Budget Worksheet [Excel format]
Urban and Community Forestry Assistance Program Grants - Applications Closed at this Time
Check back in late February for the 2017 grant information.
The Virginia Department of Forestry, in cooperation with the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) Forest Service, announce the Urban & Community Forestry (U&CF) Grant Assistance Program. These funds are provided by the USDA Forest Service and are administered by the Virginia Department of Forestry. The Urban and Community Forestry Grant Assistance Program is designed to encourage projects that promote tree planting, the care of trees, the protection and enhancement of urban and community forest ecosystems, and education on tree issues in cities, towns and communities across the nation. Grants are awarded through this program to encourage local government and citizen involvement in creating and supporting long-term and sustained urban and community forestry projects and programs at the local level.
- Apply:| Form 17.1 - Urban and Community Forestry Grant Program Grant Proposal Application (old Form 106) [Word format]
- Form 17.5 - Urban and Community Forestry Assistance Grant Program Budget Worksheet [Excel format]
- Submit: Four (4) copies to Virginia Department of Forestry, 900 Natural Resources Drive, Suite 800, Charlottesville, VA 22903.
- Deadline: (applications must be received at Virginia Department of Forestry Headquarters Office by the deadline)
Wednesday, 15-Feb-2017 14:40:54 EST