What is a forestry consultant?
A forestry consultant offers fee-based forestry services to the public.
People who buy timber usually work for a company's best interests - not yours. A forestry consultant will always give you the best price, because the forester is working for you and your woodland. A forester will provide information about government cost share programs.
A forestry consultant:
- Works in the best interest for you and your forest
- Helps you manage your land and trees
- Knows about forestry laws and regulations
- Has forestry skills and experience
- The Commonwealth of Virginia does not require forestry consultants to be registered or licensed.
Services provided by a forestry consultant
- Helps you write a Stewardship Management Plan based on what you want to do with your woods. The plan provides guidance through the life of your property.
- Helps you improve your woodland, ensuring you can make money if you decide to sell your trees.
- Helps you find “timber buyers” (people to buy your trees) and get you the best price.
- Helps you plant new trees now so that you can make more money later.
- Provides advice to attract more deer, quail, or turkeys to your woodland.
- Helps you find people who will pay a fee for hunting in your woods.
All agreements in writing
Make sure you have a written agreement with the forestry consultant you hire. The written agreement should cover:
- What work will be performed.
- Who will do the jobs.
- Payments to the forester.
- Who will pay the forester (you or the timber buyers).
How to choose a forestry consultant
All forestry consultants have basic forestry skills. Some forestry consultants have specialized skills such as managing for wildlife.
Before you hire a forestry consultant, you should:
- Talk with a few consultants, and ask them about their skills and experience.
- Ask: what will you do and how much will your help cost?
- Ask: do you also buy timber? If they do, it could represent a conflict of interest.
- We encourage landowners to request several references from any forestry consultant under consideration, and to contact those references before making their final decision.
Find a forestry consultant
The performance of anyone listed is not guaranteed by the VDOF and no recommendation or sponsorship of any single individual or firm is implied.
This list ONLY includes anyone who has a BS degree or higher, or ten years experience (qualifies to use the title “Forester”), or requested to be listed on this website.
Forestry Consultant List
Download (English; Microsoft Excel format)
- Individuals with ten years experience are permitted to use the “Forester” title under the Code of Virginia. Forester Title - List | Law
- Search the Association of Consulting Foresters of America, Inc. (ACF) Online Directory of Foresters
- Search the Society of American Foresters (SAF) Online Directory of Certified Foresters.
- National Woodland Owners Association Directory of Certified Foresters.