Facts About Virginia Forests
Forested Acreage, Ownership, and Tree Inventory Data
The Virginia Department of Forestry (VDOF) collects data on and performs mapping of Virginia's forest land. GIS mapping and forestand data collection is performed by our Forest Inventory & Analysis division.
- Forest facts for Virginia
- View forestland information for each county in Virginia.
- Virginia Forest Land Ownership
- Forested acreage of Virginia - This information is from the U. S. Forest Service Forest Inventory data and several historical references.
- Virginia's Forests, 2007. Comprehensive data covering all species and counties in the state.
- Forest Inventory & Analysis (FIA) - This United States Forest Service Web site offers online databases.
GIS Mapping and Economic Information
- The Economic Benefits of Forest Industry Data
- Data Collection, Mapping and Visualization Data from Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
- Virginia's Forests, 2007. Between 2002 and 2007, the Forest Service’s Forest Inventory and Analysis (FIA) Program conducted the eighth inventory of the forests of Virginia. About 15.7 million acres, or 62 percent, of Virginia was forested. The majority (12.4 million acres) of Virginia’s forest land was in nonindustrial private forest ownership. Public ownership and forest industry ranked second and third, with 2.8 and 0.6 million acres, respectively. (English; PDF format)
- Forest statistics for Virginia, 1992. 66 pp. (English; PDF format).
- Virginia's timber industry - an assessment of timber product output and use, 1995. (English; PDF format).
- A forested tract-size profile of Virginia's NIPF landowners. Information and statistics on non-industrial private forest landowners. (English; PDF format).