Virginia Forestry Laws and Regulations
Common to these laws is a commitment to conserving Virginia's forests, consideration of environmental concerns, stewardship of private forest resources, and protection of the rights of private forest landowners.
We are unable to assist users with legal questions, respond to requests for legal advice, or the application of the law to specific facts. Persons needing legal advice may contact:
- Virginia Lawyer's Referral Service 1.800.552.7977
- Outdoor Fire Law information and the 4PM Burn Law from the Code of Virginia.
- Certified Prescribed Burn Manager exemption from the 4 p.m. Burn Law (due Feb. 1)
- List of fire laws
Timber Trespass, Timber Theft
- Timber Trespass and Theft - follow these steps if you suspect this has happened on your property.
- Timber Trespass in the Commonwealth. A report on the prevention of timber theft.
State Forest Laws and Regulations
- To ensure your safety, familiarize yourself with the state forest regulations before visiting a forest.
- Information on local ordinances is available on this website.
- Virginia Tree Ordinance Database
- Enabling legislation: Replacement of trees during development process in certain localities.
Forest Management Laws and Regulations
Timber Harvesting, Water Quality Law
- Loggers harvest timber, and we inspect their work to ensure that Best Management Practices are followed to preserve water quality. These activities are allowed under Chapter 11, 10.1-1181.7.
Local Zoning Ordinances
Management and Reform
- Commission on Reform and Restructuring Interim Report to Gov. McDonnell. Interim Report - Oct. 15, 2010. (English; PDF format).
- Final Report on SJR75 (Preserving Forestland in Virginia). (English; PDF format; 1.2MB).
- Preserving Forestland with Senate Joint Resolution 75
- Dail v. York (2000)