The Virginia Trees for Clean Water Grant Program is established to encourage the creation of long-term, sustained canopy cover to improve water-quality across the commonwealth. This grant is used to fund tree-planting efforts that raise public awareness of the benefits of trees and impacts on water quality.
- The recommended funding range is $1,000 – $15,000.
- Match is required for our grants, which can include in-kind and volunteer hours.
- Grant funds are distributed on a reimbursement basis.
Projects may include but are not limited to the following:
- Riparian Buffers
- Community or Street Tree Plantings
- Neighborhood-wide Projects
We do fund:
- Cost of Trees and Woody Shrubs
- Planting Supplies
We don’t fund:
- Invasive Species
State agencies, local and regional governments, tribal communities and organizations, approved non-profit organizations, neighborhood associations, civic groups, public educational institutions, or community tree volunteer groups.
Applications are accepted in the form of a proposal – view application forms and request for proposal document in the Resource Library below.
- Local VDOF staff must review the project prior to proposal submission. A letter of recommendation from the local VDOF forester should be included in the proposal submission.
- A detailed tree maintenance plan must be included with each grant application.
- Projects must include community outreach and engagement components.
- Prior to final reimbursement, an approved representative will conduct a follow-up planting inspection and input results into VDOF’s “My Trees Count” application.
|Forestry Grant Program -Time and Activity Log for Staff and Volunteers||3.26||Form||View||finance financial-assistance financial-assistance-urban-and-community-forestry urban-and-community-forestry||form|
|Virginia Trees for Clean Water Grant Program Application||17.02||Form||View||financial-assistance-urban-and-community-forestry financial-assistance-water-quality urban-and-community-forestry water-quality||form|
|Virginia Trees for Clean Water Grant Program Budget Worksheet||17.04||Form||View||financial-assistance-urban-and-community-forestry financial-assistance-water-quality urban-and-community-forestry water-quality||form|
|Virginia Trees for Clean Water Grants – Request for Proposals|
Virginia Trees for Clean Water Grants – Request for Proposal document details the program and proposal requirements as well as deadlines and submission information.
A variety of financial assistance programs exist through VDOF and partner agencies for community forestry and forest management activities.